Saturday, May 22, 2010

R2D2 Cake


Here it is!  My first 3D cake.  It wasn't as scary as I thought it would be.  Having a time line helped a lot!  Especially when I was trying to squeeze in a batch of sugar cookies in the same week.  Much thanks to my brother who helped out with cutting all the details by free hand.

The body was made of yellow cake and chocolate buttercream frosting and then crumb coated in vanilla buttercream frosting (adapted from Cake Central).  The head and legs were made of rice krispies treats and chocolate ganache.  I absolutely love working with ganache now.  It held up 10x better than the butter cream.  The body gave me a lot of trouble from air pockets to sagging and even cracking/splitting open the next day.

Instead of covering the body in sections or horizontally, I just rolled out a huge piece of marshmallow fondant and covered it as I would with any other cakes.  Also, there was no way I was going to try and make black fondant.  I had a 50% off coupon for Michaels and used it on a 2lb tub of Duff (Ace of Cakes) buttercream fondant.  I heard many bad things about Wilton brand fondant but this one was yummy for store bought.  Only worth buying with a coupon though.  Making your own fondant is much cheaper.
I figured out what I was doing wrong with my luster dust.  I was suppose to mix it a little bit at a time with vodka to make a paint appose to wetting the surface and painting it on dry.  So nice and shiny!  The fondant underneath was actually a dark purple.  You can't even tell!
When I tasted the cake scraps earlier in the week, it was so good!  I saran wrapped and froze the cakes overnight before the torte/fill/crumb coat step. And then, I put it back in the fridge after the crumb coat.  Somewhere, something went wrong.  The cake was crumbly and dry like cornbread! I got another cake to make this week.  Going to eliminate the fridge after the crumb coat step and see what happens.

3 comments:

  1. Just wanted to stop by and give thanks for the amazing cake and tutorial. My son recently turned 3, saw your cake and feel in love. That was the cake he had to have. I did my best to make a cake similar to yours....while mine wasn't near as good as your he still loved it. I just wanted to say Thank You and that I linked back to your orginal post for all my readers to check out the inspiration. Thank you again!!

    Ashley @ Thereisnoplacelikehomemade

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and here is the link if you are interested.... http://thereisnoplacelikehomemade.blogspot.com/2012/04/r2d2-cake.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and here is the link if you are interested.... http://thereisnoplacelikehomemade.blogspot.com/2012/04/r2d2-cake.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails