Thursday, February 24, 2011

Nikon D5000 Cake

nikon cake front


It has been a little over a year since I made what I thought at the time was my first "show stopping" cake per my sister's request.  The cake requests are definitely getting more creative and complex.  However, I can't complain as I am definitely learning a lot along the way.

My cousin, a photography hobbyist, celebrated his birthday last week and as a gift to him, I made him a cake replica of his camera per his request.  Having a lot of images to go by helps a lot.  After looking at several images of the camera online, I realized it was similar to my own Nikon D60. So, I actually used that as a model and then piped on his camera model at the end.




nikon cake carved / crumbcoat


This was my first time carving without a template; so scary! I started with a 2 layer 8-inch square red velvet cake with vanilla buttercream frosting which I cut in half and then proceeded to carve. After sending a quick picture of it to my boyfriend, he commented that it was too small.  So, I added another layer to the top and to the side.  I also changed the jutting top piece into a trapezoid from a square the second time around.



nikon cake fondant fail


I used store bought fondant to cover the cake and it was a nightmare to work with that day.  I couldn't get it as pliable as I wanted/needed and my first attempt ended with way too wrinkles.  So, I ripped it all off and started over.  That resulted in losing all my sharp edges but nothing cake spackle couldn't fix.

I realize I don't take any pictures of the lens in the making!  It was made of store bought rice krispies treats I smashed together and covered in two layers of fondant to avoid the lumps and bumps.  Pearl luster dust mixed with vodka gave the perfect illusion of a glare for the lens.



nikon cake back 




nikon cake top 


My two personal favorite details on the cake was sneaking my dog Patches onto the back screen and the personalized camera strap.  I love the trim I was able to put onto the strap with my Wilton cutter/embosser wheel.  I learned that I need to work on my piping skills; it took me five attempts to just pipe the words Nikon and D5000 onto the cake correctly!

8 comments:

  1. this is amazing! I really like your work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome. I'm making this one of my goals this year.. to make a Nikon cake! Even if it'll be for myself :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! this is one amazing camera cake!! Just one question though: you said you started with a 2 layer 8 inch cake and cut in half.. so did u just use half the cake.. or did u stack both the halves on top of each other?
    Waiting for your reply!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Khaz, I ended up adding another layer, which I took from the half I cut out. I also added another chunk of the cut out half to the side of the cake. Hope this makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your reply Jen! It does make sense now.. Have a camera cake due in some time and will be following your directions :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow this cake is really surprisingly awesome! Love it so much!

    I'm planning to make one for my friend's birthday, and it could also be my first try. May I know what icing method you used for the "Happy Birthday Dennis"? Is it fondant as well? What about the "nikon" and "d5000"? Hope to get your reply soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Chyenne. Thanks! The "Happy Birthday Dennis" was fondant cutouts. The Nikon and D5000 was with piped frosting. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails