Thursday, October 21, 2010

Oven Baked Apple Donuts


My mom dropped off some apples the other day and the first thing I thought of was what can I bake with them.  I wasn't sure I had enough apples for an apple pie so I settled for the next best thing; the oven baked apple donuts I saw awhile ago.  I've been hoarding quite a few donut recipes since my last attempt at them.  These aren't quite the cake donuts which I'm in love with but they are pretty good in their own kind of way.


Oven Baked Apple Donuts
slightly adapted from Chocolate Shavings
Makes about 24 mini donuts


1/4 cup of lightly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup of granulated sugar
1-1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
1-3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/3 cup of cold butter, cut into small pieces
1 egg
1/4 cup of milk

1-1/2 cups of bite size chunks of apple, peeled and cored

For the Coating:
1/4 cup of butter, melted
1/3 cup of granulated sugar
1 tsp cinnamon powder

Preheat your oven to 350F.  Grease mini muffin pans.  Set aside.


Whisk the sugars, flour, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg in a bowl.  Add the cold chopped butter. Using a pastry cutter, work the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.

In a separate bowl, beat the egg. Mix in the milk and fold in the chopped apples. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture. Stir until incorporated, using a spatula or spoon, making sure not to overmix. Place a tablespoon of batter into each mold of a greased mini muffin pan.

Bake for 15-18 minutes or until the donuts are just golden. Remove from the oven, unmold and lightly brush each donut with the melted butter. Dunk in a bowl with the sugar and cinnamon mixed in. Shake off excess sugar and serve immediately.

5 comments:

  1. These look fabulous! Cake donuts are my favorite, and it's been ages since I've had one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. totally making these on halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My batter looks crumbly... it does not look like a batter at all.. help!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Paradise Lost, mine didn't look like a smooth cake batter either. It was more of a chunky/lumpy texture once I added the liquids and stirred in the apples. Maybe you had to work the butter into the dry mixture a bit more?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved these. My picky 4 year old did too..especially the ones that got extra extra sugar.
    Just a note on what I did a little differently. I used cinnamon in place of the nutmeg. Also flaxseed and water for the egg (to make slightly healthier.) I could not stop eating them. MMM....
    Posted these on my blog too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails