Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Shelf Stable Mousse Fillings

The carton of Pastry Pride that I picked up contained about 4 cups of liquid and I only used 1 cup for the filling on my last cake.  Because the carton said, once thawed, product keeps fresh 3 weeks in fridge and do not refreeze liquid, I had to do something soon.

Given that it's 90+ degrees in the Bay Area this week (I know, crazy, right?), I decided against turning on the oven and baking a bunch of cupcakes and cakes to fill.  Instead, I made the mousse fillings, sealed them up in plastic containers, and popped them in the freezer for a later time.  I assumed I could freeze it once whipped since it's suppose to be the non dairy, shelf stable version of Cool Whip.

I made oreo mousse filling, cheesecake mousse filling, and kahlua mousse filling.

Step 1: Empty the pudding mix into a small bowl


Step 2: Add 1-3 tablespoons of hot water to form a thick paste and set aside (Note: It should be thinner than as pictured because I ended up with "cheesecake" tasting bits in mine.)


Step 3: Whisk the thawed Pastry Pride in a mixer to stiff peaks
 
Step 4: Spoon a small amount, about 1/4 cup, of the whipped Pastry Pride into the bowl of pudding mixture and stir to lighten


Step 5: Scrape the mixture back into the bowl of whipped Pastry Pride


Step 6: Mix until combined
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails