Friday, August 20, 2010

Blue Daisies Birthday Cake

blue daisies b-day cake - top



I made this cake by request for my brother's girlfriend for her Mom's birthday.  She asked that I incorporate her Mom's favorite things: flowers, the color blue, and chocolate cake.


This became my favorite cake to date as I was finally able to replicate a design from the book, Sweet and Simple Party Cakes and work with a filling besides buttercream. Two things that has been on my list to try for quite some time now.

The cake was covered and decorated with marshmallow fondant.  For the flowers, letters, and butterflies, I made them the night before to allow them to dry out.  Unfortunately, the day of, I realized that the larger flowers wouldn't work and had to remake a bunch of smaller flowers.

I made my go to chocolate cake and chocolate buttercream frosting but it was the oreo mousse filling that took it to another level.  I finally got a hold of Pastry Pride, a non dairy whipping cream, from Smart & Final out here in CA.  This allowed me to make a shelf stable filling which I adapted from Cake Central.  The possibilities are endless as long as you can get a hold of a box of Jello pudding in your flavor of choice or extracts to flavor the vanilla one.  I can't wait to try the white chocolate, cheesecake, pistachio, and butterscotch flavors.


blue daisies b-day cake - side

2 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails